[mythtv-users] OT: OTA HD

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 22 22:46:01 UTC 2008

On Monday 22 December 2008 15:36:48 Travis Tabbal wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 2:43 PM, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't want to hijack the OPs thread so I'll be glad to start a new
> > thread.
> >
> > Although my cable company is currently broadcasting the locals I'm having
> > a problem picking them up, weak signal, etc.? I do have an external
> > antenna in my attic as was suggested earlier  but its getting no use
> > since I only have a single input on my TV...
> >
> > What is that kind of combiner called? is there some kind of problem with
> > multiple local frequencies on the same cable, etc?
>
> I had not considered the interference issue before I posted about setups
> like this. You might be able to use a diplexer, those are used in
> satelite/OTA installs. I have no idea how they would behave with CATV
> setups though. You really should ask a CATV tech before connecting things
> like this up for the reasons posted already. You don't want to broadcast
> the CATV signal out your antenna. The FCC will be very annoyed with you if
> you do that.

Not nearly as annoyed as the FAA would be.

> Honestly, if you are paying for cable and can't get OTA channels to work
> properly, call your cable company. They are taking your money for something
> you aren't getting. A coax A-B switch is another idea, though you would
> probably want something you can automate as we are in the Myth list after
> all and you likely won't be sitting there to switch it for every recording.

The "HD" channels from cable (at least my system) are visibly degraded from
what the raw off-air signals are, no doubt due to compression by the cable
operator.

Most people probably wouldn't notice the difference, but the folks on this
list most likely would.

--
beww
beww at beww.org