[mythtv-users] OT: OTA HD

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Dec 22 22:36:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 2:43 PM, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't want to hijack the OPs thread so I'll be glad to start a new
> thread.
>
> Although my cable company is currently broadcasting the locals I'm having a
> problem picking them up, weak signal, etc.? I do have an external antenna in
> my attic as was suggested earlier  but its getting no use since I only have
> a single input on my TV...
>
> What is that kind of combiner called? is there some kind of problem with
> multiple local frequencies on the same cable, etc?

I had not considered the interference issue before I posted about setups
like this. You might be able to use a diplexer, those are used in
satelite/OTA installs. I have no idea how they would behave with CATV setups
though. You really should ask a CATV tech before connecting things like this
up for the reasons posted already. You don't want to broadcast the CATV
signal out your antenna. The FCC will be very annoyed with you if you do
that.

Honestly, if you are paying for cable and can't get OTA channels to work
properly, call your cable company. They are taking your money for something
you aren't getting. A coax A-B switch is another idea, though you would
probably want something you can automate as we are in the Myth list after
all and you likely won't be sitting there to switch it for every recording.
:)