[mythtv-users] Upgade to FC10 results in reboot loop

Roy Lofthouse lofty69 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 17:46:06 UTC 2008

2008/12/22 Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com>:
> Roy Lofthouse wrote:
>> 2008/12/22 Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com>:
>>
>>> Maybe the upgrade changed the order of menu entries in menu.1st? Make
>>> sure you still have a menu entry that resets the default and halts like
>>> this:-
>>>
>>> title=PowerOff
>>>    savedefault 0
>>>    halt
>>>
>>> and that the --default=1 part of the command you are using is pointing
>>> to the right entry (remember the first menu entry is numbered 0 not 1).
>>>
>>> Paul H.

>> Thanks for the reply Paul.
>>
>> Everything is as it should be as I removed the previous kernel and
>> only have two items in grub.conf.  Just checked the versions of grub
>> and it looks like F9 is 0.97-33 whereas F10 is 0.97-38 (not sure what
>> else it could be).
>>
>> Also, if I use savedefault in the grub file itself I get an error 27
>> when the entry tries to run when booting.
>>
> If you run the savedefault --default=1 --once | /sbin/grub on the
> command line does it work OK. There should be a file called
> /boot/grub/default does it get updated properly when you run that command?
>
> I use gentoo which does things differently than a lot of distros. I set
> the default like this:-
>
> /sbin/grub-set-default 1
>
> grub_set-default is a simple script that creates the /boot/grub/default
> file and adds the correct default menu number in there. Maybe FC has
> something similar?
>

> Paul H.

running that gives me the following:

[root at xxxxx grub]# echo "savedefault --default=1 --once" |/sbin/grub
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

    GNU GRUB  version 0.97  (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

 [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, TAB
   lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
   completions of a device/filename.]
grub> savedefault --default=1 --once
grub> [root at xxxxx grub]#

I get no errors, but there is no default file being created.  The only
file that gets updated at the time of running that line is a file
called stage2