[mythtv-users] Upgade to FC10 results in reboot loop

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Mon Dec 22 17:05:49 UTC 2008

Roy Lofthouse wrote:
> 2008/12/22 Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com>:
>
>> Maybe the upgrade changed the order of menu entries in menu.1st? Make
>> sure you still have a menu entry that resets the default and halts like
>> this:-
>>
>> title=PowerOff
>>    savedefault 0
>>    halt
>>
>> and that the --default=1 part of the command you are using is pointing
>> to the right entry (remember the first menu entry is numbered 0 not 1).
>>
>> Paul H.

> Thanks for the reply Paul.
>
> Everything is as it should be as I removed the previous kernel and
> only have two items in grub.conf.  Just checked the versions of grub
> and it looks like F9 is 0.97-33 whereas F10 is 0.97-38 (not sure what
> else it could be).
>
> Also, if I use savedefault in the grub file itself I get an error 27
> when the entry tries to run when booting.

If you run the savedefault --default=1 --once | /sbin/grub on the
command line does it work OK. There should be a file called
/boot/grub/default does it get updated properly when you run that command?

I use gentoo which does things differently than a lot of distros. I set
the default like this:-

/sbin/grub-set-default 1

grub_set-default is a simple script that creates the /boot/grub/default
file and adds the correct default menu number in there. Maybe FC has
something similar?

Paul H.