[mythtv-users] SVN - compile error - libavcodec

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 22 17:14:35 UTC 2008

On 12/22/2008 12:03 PM, Mark wrote:
> I ran into something similar on Fedora 10.  Just check this.  Do a
> "which gcc"
> I found that a compile would fail because there was a package installed
> by default called "ccache" which put a gcc in your path before /usr/bin/gcc.

That's (1 of 2 ways) how ccache is used.  By having a link called gcc
referring to the ccache binary (rather than gcc) in the PATH before the
directory containing gcc, ccache is used when gcc is called and--because
it was called using the name "gcc"--knows that it should "do gcc
stuff."  (The other way to use ccache is much more difficult/invasive,
so most everyone uses it as described.)

> Check that and let me know.  My compile failed in the same place due to
> this.

Likely a:

ccache -c

(or, definitely, a ccache -C) would have fixed it, if ccache were, in
fact, the issue.  However, it's very likely that ccache was not to
blame, but something else--such as a not-cleaned-up source dir--was, and
not using ccache just worked around the issue.

Mike