[mythtv-users] ringbuf in memory?

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Thu Dec 18 21:37:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 8:26 AM, Scott Harris <scott at webhounds.net> wrote:

> Has anyone considered, or even tried adding a lot of ram to their systems
> and using it for the ringbuf location?  I mean something like 64Gb of ram.
> For SD recording that should provide adequate space for the ringbuf I
> think.
>
> Just wondering.....

-There's not a traditional ringbuffer in myth since the livetv switch was
made (.19?)
-Even when there was a ringbuffer, it was never a bottleneck AFAIK.
-Again, back when there was a ringbuffer I believe its default was somewhere
in the 1-4gb size.

What problem is this idea trying to solve?  Having 64Gb of ram might go
really well if you're doing a LOT of simultanious HD recording if you tune
the kernel to be REALLY agressive with its disk caching, but otherwise it
woudln't do anything whatsoever.