[mythtv-users] trying to add a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR1250

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Thu Dec 18 15:09:40 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 07:58 -0700, Mike Millner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I bought a 2nd tuner card...Hauppauge WinTV-HVR1250 to try and get the
> over the air HD channels. As you can see from the output below it
> seems that the computer sees both the new and old card. I've tried
> some different things I found from searching but I can't get mplayer
> or vlc to play it much less mythtv. I included a bunch of output below
> hoping to give someone enough info to point me in the right direction.
> My PVR-150 works great as /dev/video0. I expected to see a /dev/videoX
> for the new card. I actually have a /dev/video24  and
> a /dev/video/32..they don't seem to be related to the new card..not
> sure what they are.
>
> Some of the instructions I found talked about a /dev/dvb/adapter0
> which I have and I figured this is the new card
> but nothing will play through  it
>
> I don't really know what I'm doing...just trying some things to try to
> make this work. I think I'm close
>

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>

> Thanks,
> Mike
>

> Please see the output here. The mail was too long to be posted.

Mike,

  US OTA broadcast cards are DVB cards to Linux. You can use the 'scan'
program from the dvb-utils package to see what channels your card is
seeing. I don't know about the particular card you have, but if it has
an analog side (for NTSC or cable) then it may get its own /dev/videoX.
The OTA digital side should be under /dev/dvb/dapaterX.

Cheers,
James