[mythtv-users] Working with DVD ISO images

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Dec 16 16:10:40 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 16 December 2008 08:57:00 kenneth at berrypatch.net wrote:
> I need some help understanding how to use DVD ISO images.
>
> I (somehow) managed to RIP an ISO image from a damaged DVD (GREAT!).  It
> will play within Myth with everything working including the menus.
>
> My main question is I can't figure out how to burn that ISO image to a new
> DVD.  I have successfully archived videos to the DVD, but I just can't
> find out how to burn the ISO image.
>
> In addition I moved the ISO image to another computer and attempted to use
> k3b to to burn the image which did not work.  What happened is DVD root
> menu would try to work I had music, you could tell the menu was changing
> almost like scrambled.
>
> Summary.
> - Specifically how do I burn an rip'd ISO image to a new DVD?
> - Should I expect to be able to use other burning software to write the
> ISO image?
> - Would it be possible to duplicate a DVD using dd?

K3b uses the same command line tools that I would have suggested. growisofs is
the standard way to burn a DVD, and that's what Mytharchive and K3b use.

Does K3b work for you with a known-good ISO? Since the ISO seems to work for
you I have to assume the disk image is good.

You might try burning at a slower speed, that sometimes helps.

--
beww
beww at beww.org