[mythtv-users] Sound help needed

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 05:27:24 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Brett Williams <vipersbt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I configured my digital sound using this article in the MythTV Wiki:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound
>
> Everything went fairly smooth, but I am having some problems.  My MP3's
> don't play and some movies that I have downloaded won't play audio either.
> I am just guessing but it appears to be and issue with 44k versus 48k
> audio...  I don't know what all is necessary to troubleshoot this, but I can
> start with telling you the following:
>
> >aplay -L
> default:CARD=NVidia
>     HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
>     Default Audio Device
> front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
>     Front speakers
> surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
>     4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
>     4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
>     5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
>     5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
>     7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
> iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, ALC662 Digital
>     IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
> null
>     Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
>
> I am using 'iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0', then when I try the test in the Wiki
> article:
>
> >speaker-test -c2 --device cards.pcm.iec958 --rate 48000
>
> speaker-test 1.0.17rc2
>
> Playback device is cards.pcm.iec958
> Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
> Using 16 octaves of pink noise
> Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
> Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
> Period size range from 32 to 8192
> Using max buffer size 16384
> Periods = 4
> was set period_size = 4096
> was set buffer_size = 16384
>  0 - Front Left
>  1 - Front Right
> Time per period = 5.719134
>  0 - Front Left
>  1 - Front Right
> Time per period = 5.973153
>  0 - Front Left
>  1 - Front Right
> Time per period = 5.973171
>  0 - Front Left
>  1 - Front Right
>
> And when I do the 44k
> >speaker-test -c2 --device cards.pcm.iec958 --rate 44100
>
> speaker-test 1.0.17rc2
>
> Playback device is cards.pcm.iec958
> Stream parameters are 44100Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
> Using 16 octaves of pink noise
> Rate set to 44100Hz (requested 44100Hz)
> Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
> [...]

Look up my recent posts on the subject.  If you can't find them, email me.
Basically, delete asound.conf, set mythtv up as specified, I think default
as ALSA:spdif and other stuff. and turn on digital sound in the mixer.
 Can't remember the details...  Look it up or ask later when I have more
time.

Allen

Allen