[mythtv-users] Myth won't play DVDs, video is shaky

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Thu Dec 11 22:51:31 UTC 2008

>Screen refresh rates maybe? I'm downunder and initially had some
>problems getting the picture to fill the screen on our LG 42"
>1080p LCD
>screen.
>
>I'm in Australia where we use PAL at 25 frames ps. The nvidia card's
>output that worked best is 1980 X 1080 at 75hz, ie the refresh rate
>being a multiple of the 25 ps.
>
>de-interlacing still leaves me disappointed so for fast action
>sports we
>switch the LCD's inbuilt tuner.

OK, I had the same issue with the default mythtv playback profiles at first.
Sports were jaggedy and not smooth at all. A few tweaks later, and all of a
sudden, sports on mythtv are smoother than direct cable into my tv.

Here's what I changed:

add new. Type in a playback group name (ie. My new group). Change Match
criteria to >  and the second match criteria to blank. Leave all the W and H
things to 0. Change Decoder to Standard and Max CPU's to 2. Video Renderer
to xv-blit and osd renderer to softblend. Primary and fallback deinterlacers
should be Greedy High Motion (2x). Then press finish.

The main thing here is the deinterlacer that is being used. While the slim
profile worked for me, it was changing to greedy 2X that really made video
smooth. You need a better cpu to do the greedy 2x, but the smoothness of the
picture is second to none.

Hope that works for you like it did for me.
-Steve