[mythtv-users] Out Of Ram

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 20:03:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Adam Skinner wrote:
>> Could someone please tell me if mythfrontend is eating to much memory or
>> have other people seen similar levels and therefore dont need to worry?
>
> The backend eats memory for sure.
> Buying more ram doesn't help.
> Fixing the leaks does help.
>
> Can you run valgrind on your system?
> The pro's here can explain you what info they need from valgrind.
>
> I just let me backend record three channels from one transponder, 24/7.
> Just what the software is made for.
> Unfortunately the backend leaks by just recording and I cannot run
> valgrind on my tiny system without causing issues for the mythbackend
> process.
>
> So please help out if you can.
>
> Udo

I didn't really follow the threads on that topic, but didn't that
appear to be related to use of EIT?  I can leave my backend running
for months recording and commflagging HD without any issues and I only
have 512MB of ram.

As far as memory use on the frontend, mine appears to use about 300MB
when playing 1080i content.

Tom