[mythtv-users] Need mythbuntu install help

Ian Barton lists at manor-farm.org
Mon Dec 8 08:03:16 UTC 2008

> I am trying to build a frontend system using the mythbuntu
> installation CD that came with a "Linux Format" magazine I picked up
> on the newstand.  However, once I launch the installation it cranks
> away for about a minute with the sliding bar (kinda like a Cylon
> scanner or a "Pong" paddle run amok) and it dumps me in a text screen
> with a BusyBox v1.1.3 caption with a prompt of (initramfs).  I didn't
> find anything on the Mythbuntu or the Ubuntu wikis that sounded like
> it was relevant, so, where do I go from here?
>
> FWIW, the FE is an ASUS M2NPV-VM mobo with an Athlon 64X2 4000 CPU and
> 1GB RAM using the on-board nVIDIA graphics.  All of this has worked in
> the past as an FE using MythDora 4.

There are all sorts of twiddles and tweaks you could try. When this
happened to me in the past, I found the fastest solution was to download
the text mode (I think they call it the Alternate CD) version. this has
always worked for me. Even if it doesn't, you get to see all the output
on the screen as it boots, so its' much easier to debug problems.

Ian.