[mythtv-users] To survive the switch to digital...

Nick Ellson grimm at nickellson.com
Thu Dec 4 21:47:59 UTC 2008

I just spent 40 mins in a live chat with Comcast (wanted to keep a record
of what I was told) and wow was that painful.

I still do not believe I got a clear answer as to what channels my local
Portland/Vancouver area Comcast loop will send in the clear.

It was clear that if I elect to "go digital" that I will be forced to a
$29.99 introductary Digital package for 6 months. hey were all to happy to
switch me right then and there too.

Here are the highlights,  anyone want to help me with the decoding of
this?:

" (Thu Dec 4 15:13:21 PST 2008)>In situations where a cable network is
migrated from analog to digital, a customer would normally need equipment
to continue to receive that channel on a TV set. Comcast has promotional
available to customers to upgrade to digital when we migrate channels.
However, this does not mean that equipment is required to view ANY
broadcast channels  these will continue to be available without any
equipment for a minimum of 3 years from the DTV Transition cutoff date of
Feb 17, 2009. "

(Thu Dec 4 15:17:02 PST 2008)>If the customer has a HDTV without an ATSC/
QAM tuner, then an external QAM tuner is needed to receive local HD
channels OR a set top box is required to receive cable HD channels.

(Thu Dec 4 15:21:29 PST 2008)>If your HDTV has an ATSC/ QAM tuner, you
will be able to view HD channels from local broadcast stations without a
set top box. To accommodate additional programming, occasionally a
broadcast channel could be moved from its original frequency. In this
case, the TV will have to be re-programmed to identify it. See your TVs
user manual for channel programming or auto-programming.

(Thu Dec 4 15:55:25 PST 2008)>Cable networks like ESPN,
Discovery, CNN, USA, etc. are not impacted by the DTV Transition. While,
the switch from analog to digital will shut off broadcast TV signals such
as ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, PBS and Univision that millions of TV viewers
receive with reliable analog TVs, rooftop antennas and rabbit ears.

Nick_(Thu Dec 4 12:57:21 PST 2008)>Well, they won't get them with Analog
tuners, sure. But digital capable tuners of their own they can, they will
not be encrypted over the air. So what I hear is that neither would your
re-transmission of them, correct?

(Thu Dec 4 15:58:19 PST 2008)>Yes, Nick.

Nick_(Thu Dec 4 12:59:29 PST 2008)>So now I am confused.. now you agree
that you will be sending OTA digital in the clear?

(Thu Dec 4 16:01:24 PST 2008)>I apologized for the confusion,
Nick. What I mean is that you will need to have digital box in order for
you to have digital channels.

And he did paste me a listing of all the channels a kept every other line
trying to sales pitch me into digital... it was exhausting...

I was hoping to maybe try using an HDHomeRun device and try this OTA
stuff. They work well??? :)

Nick

--
Nick Ellson