[mythtv-users] Getting OT - Backend PC Powersupply...is it broken?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 14:25:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 6:01 AM, Ian Clark <mrrooster at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/12/3 Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>:
>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 6:05 AM, Ian Clark <mrrooster at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
> [snip my ramblin's]
>>>

>> Interesting...I wish I was aware of that a few months ago when I
>> replaced the PSU in my Dell 4600 backend.  I'd actually never had to
>> do that before.
>
> I've had more troubles with PSUs over the years than anything else.
> Especially cheapo ones in the days where every case had a 350 ATX PSU
> with it.
>

>> It was pretty clear my problem was the PSU...I got no lights on
>> anything when the PSU was plugged in.  I was in a hurry to get the
>> backend running again, and found a compatible PSU in a computer supply
>> place about 25 miles away.  It's worked fine since.  While it's not
>> extremely light, it is in fact lighter than the original in spite of
>> having a higher wattage rating.
>>
> The weight is used by the heatsinks, these are used to dissipate the
> heat that results as a side effect of the transforming, the more
> wattage, the more heat is needed to be removed. If you don't get rid
> of it you'll essentially cook the inside of the PSU.
>
> If you've bought a silly rated PSU and you're not running it anywhere
> near it's rated wattage you may be ok, but there's no real substitue
> for a decent PSU.
>
> I've had good experiences with Tagen over the years. The main problem
> I find these days is getting one small enough! (wattage wise, not size
> wise. :) )

Yea...at some point I may replace it just to be safe.  I don't know if
I'm using it anywhere near capacity or not.  The original PSU was only
250 watts.

The new one is rated at 480 watts, but is a bit on the light side.
This is on a stand alone backend (Dell 4600 2.8 Ghz P4, 512 MB ram)
running headless with 2x500GB IDE (7200 rpm) drives and three HD-5500
tuner cards.  I'm not sure how much that would tend to use.

Luckily the 4600 is apparently _not_ one of the Dells with a
non-standard PSU pinout.

Thanks for all the various advise from all..sorry if I partially
hijacked Davids thread...

Tom