[mythtv-users] HD Ringbuffer

Matt Hakim thepigs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 11:09:56 UTC 2008

i was interested in that myself so I had a look i the code just then.
AFAICT it looks like its used when buffering capture card data. the
buffering process runs in its own thread. some comments in the code
say:

*  This allows us to read the device regularly even in the presence
 *  of long blocking conditions on writing to disk or accessing the
 *  database.

so it looks like at some point there were problems with buffer
overruns (limited DMA buffers available?) during video capture due to
system load, and this was the fix. changing the setting on my system
makes no difference.

As an aside, does anyone know if mythtv uses 'direct writes' (ie
bypassing os caches)? This would save mythtv streaming from emptying
my disk cache...

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 7:40 AM, moodyjunk at frontiernet.net