[mythtv-users] 2 Channel Audio Not Working-- Help

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 17:47:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Nick Wilson <vanilla.slimfast at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jason did you ever solve this?
>>
>> My new mythbuntu 8.10 frontend just stopped playing non-ac3, non-mpeg
>> audio. It won't play xvid's encoded in mp3 anymore. It worked fine up
>> until some time yesterday then it just stopped working and I can't get
>> it to work again, but things I record that use ac3 or mpeg audio seem
>> to play back fine.
>>
>> thanks!
>
> What version of ALSA are you running?  I spent a lot of time messing around
> with asound.conf changes trying to get PCM over SPDIF to work consistently,
> including compiling and installing the latest version of ALSA (1.18a).  I
> felt like an idiot when I finally discovered that there is a seperate slider
> in alsamixer that controls the level of PCM volume over the SPDIF out
> independent of the regular PCM volume on the analogue outputs.  In my case,
> the volume slider was turned all the way down (which explains why my
> receiver showed it was getting a digital signal but it was silent).  I don't
> know at what point they introduced this in ALSA, as I don't recall the
> slider being there in the stock version I was running before.
>
> -Nick

1.0.17 on Mythbuntu 8.10. I went through all the sliders in alsamixer
that are there "by default" so if theres a mixer that can be added
that I may be missing...?

I think I'm just going to re-install 8.10 as it worked initially, then
do a dist-upgrade to see if that breaks it or not.

--
Steve
http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/MythTV/