[mythtv-users] OT: Computer Hardware for sale

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Dec 2 10:19:00 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2008, at 4:42 PM, Dewey Smolka wrote:
>
>>> My mailing list is not ebay.  Further posts of this nature will not
>>> be
>>> tolerated.
>> Not that I'm interested (and not that the OP wasn't well afoul of the
>> list rules), but just for reference is there any limit to what's
>> acceptable and what isn't?
>>
>> Clearly, posting a parts lists and prices is not acceptable.
>>
>> Is it acceptable to, say, post a message that, "I'm selling my old
>> backend and some other gear, please contact off list for details"? Is
>> it acceptable to submit a legitimate question or other post and finish
>> it with "I'm selling my old backend and some other gear, please
>> contact off list for details"?
>>
>> Just curious what the list owner and community think.
>>
>> Please note: I'm not selling anything and do not want to be
>> contacted off list.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mailing_List_etiquette
> and specifically, http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mailing_List_etiquette#Message_Content
>
> Advertising is unsolicited spam.

Just while this topics being discussed: what about offering old
kit for free? I'd guess that was not allowed either, but worth
just asking, but it could also be thought of as helping to solve
other's problems for no personal gain, similarly to offering
advice.

Also what about questions like: "Item X would really solve my
problem, but I can't get one anywhere. Does anyone have an
old X they want to get rid of?"

I'd guess any such questions detract from the real purpose of
the list, but it's Isaac's call.

Cheers,
	Paul.