[mythtv-users] Can the Windows MythTV project use PureVideo?

Marc Barrett mnealbarrett at cox.net
Tue Dec 2 02:29:13 UTC 2008

>> I am interested in the Hauppauge HD-PVR, but I don't know
>> if I can afford a fast dual-core system right now.  A project has
>> been started to port MythTV to Windows.  (Note: I am NOT talking
>> about WinMyth here, which is an old, out-of-date project).
>>
>> I have a question about the Windows MythTV project: would it
>> be possible for this project to somehow make use of nvidia's
> PureVideo?  If possible, that could dramatically lower the
>> CPU requirements for playing H.264 videos.
>
>Please use gossamer to look at the recent threads concerning nVidia's
>new VDPAU support in Linux. The code is currently in trunk and will be
>available for use in the next release (no one knows when that will be
>so don't ask - you can use the unstable version today if you like).
>Using this for playback, my AMD 64 X2 4200+ processor sits at around
>5% when playing back h.264 content.

I am familiar with VDPAU.  However, VDPAU appears to be very
preliminary  -- basically conceptual in nature, at this stage.  It will be
a while before even the framework is done, and then the application
support for it can be written.

There is a reason why I asked about PureVideo, and NOT VDPAU.
PureVideo is FAR more mature -- applications can support it
RIGHT NOW.