[mythtv-users] OT: Wiring a new construction home for A/V, Ethernet, etc

Matt Hakim thepigs at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 21:06:44 UTC 2008

> If you're planning to use wireless ethernet and only cell phones with no
> land lines, then the above equations change.  However having a wired house
> is *nice*.   I never must mess with configuring all the wireless ports for
> proper security, etc.  I don't have bandwidth issues.  Of course, I
> installed my cable before wireless really came on the scene so that may
> just be cognitive dissonance talking. :-)

wired is best :) I haven't tried wifi N but G was no good for mythtv
(ie re-broadcasting dvb) unless you were in the same room. (but I was
using cheap gear).

to stay on topic. I'm in a rented place that's wired with two ports to
each room with a 'mini' patch panel in one of the closets.
So to each room you've got two ports, which is 8 pairs. 100baseT only
needs 2 pairs so I constructed 100baseT splitter cables to convert the
two ports into four. So you don't necessarily have to run more cables,
count how many pairs you're actually using... I think it all changes
once you go to 1000baseT though....