[mythtv-users] motherboard critique

Nick Bright boberz at thewatch.org
Fri Aug 22 13:12:34 UTC 2008

ojw at weilerfamily.com wrote:
> I'm looking for a motherboard critique...
>
> I just found the new PNY motherboard on newegg (model MBM630I7150):
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813159002
>
> Since it doesn't have any customer reviews yet, I'm guessing it's really,
> really new.  I'd like to use this for a new myth frontend to do HD for OTA
> ATSC at 1080i.  I like the idea that there is a direct HDMI out.  I plan on
> pairing this with an Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 (2.53Ghz and seemingly quite
> overclockable based on the reviews).
>
> Obviously, since there are no reviews, I could be in for real surprise but
> based on the specs at PNY:
>
> http://www2.pny.com/GeForce-7150-GPU-Motherboard-P2669C371.aspx
>
> Does it seem reasonable that this would make a good frontend for my needs?

Originally posted in response to a similar request I made last week, by
Robert:

I too have something similar with a NVIDIAŽ GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i
MCP chipset.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-098-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=326&name=Gigabyte%20GA-73PVM-S2H%20GeForce%207100%20Micro-ATX%20(Socket%20775)%20PCI-Express%20DDR2%20Motherboard

I must say overall I'm not that impressed.

I've had problems with "noisy" audio, which I think I've now got sorted.

I had to upgrade to the latest kernel to get the onboard networking to
work at all and even then it's crashed a number of times while doing
large data transfers (backups) across the network - this manifests
itsself as the network stops working and the lights on the port flash
like crazy.  Usually I can log in locally, then shutdown cleanly and
reboot and it's all fine again.  Only a reboot seems to fix this problem
- I've tried reloading modules, etc.  This hasn't happened for a while,
but thats because I've been careful not to do large network transfers!
I need to see if the problem still exits, but I don't want to crash my box.

Occasionally the remote on my TT-S1501 DVB-S card stops working with
some i2c transfer error which seems to reuqire a reboot to fix as well
(not sure if this is motherboard related or not tbh).

I've not tried the SPDIF audio out.  But I have the HDMI.  Picture is
ok, a lot of overscan with my TV.  And I've not managed to get audio
over HDMI in either Linux or Windows.

Other than that (!) it seems ok.  Graphics perfomance seems good and
there are no fans on the motherboard - main reason I bought that
particular board was because it was one of the few that had onboard
NVIDIA graphics and two PCI slots.

Hope this helps!

Robert.