[mythtv-users] How do I auto transcode

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 04:08:48 UTC 2008

On Aug 21, 2008, at 7:42 PM, Bob Long wrote:

> Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
>>> In mythfrontend, setup > tv > general page 2, you should see "Run
>> transcoder" near the bottom, is it checked?
>>

>> OK, it did the recording, and commflagged it like normal, but did not
>> transcode it. If I manually tell it to transcode, it will, but I have
>> to do this every single time.
>>
>> Am I the only lonely soul with this problem? Does anyone else use
>> auto
>> transcoding?
>>
>> -Steve
>
> For 0.21,
>
> (A) Had the same problem here. I had this ticked:
> Frontend setup|TV Settings|General|(page 3)|Run transcoder, but it
> did not
> help.
>
> (B) But ticking:
> Frontend setup|TV Settings|Recording profiles|Hardware DVB
> Encoders|Default|Enable auto-transcode after recording
> did then auto-transcode.
>
> Then I unticked (A) Frontend setup|TV Settings|General|(page 3)|Run
> transcoder, does still auto-transcode.
>
> Setting (B) seems to set the flag in MythWeb to default to auto-
> transcoding.
> For most programs I don't want that, and I'll tick the MythWeb
> auto-transcode box when required.
>
> So, in short, it seems setting (B) is needed for auto-transcode to
> actually
> work, and (A) is optional for setting when you want it.
>
> --
> Bob Long

Cool, found that setting (B) and ticked it (it wasn't). Will have to
see if it works. I knew setting (A) couldn't be right, as I don't want
to transcode everything... eg. the news I delete everyday, so that's
only 10 gigs of space, versus a couple hours of transcoding. Likely
that it'll be watched and deleted before the ol P4-2.4ghz backend gets
done transcoding.

now I just gotta figure out my frontend crashes. They seem to be avi
related... but that's another thread...