[mythtv-users] Video Card Recommendation

Nick Bright boberz at thewatch.org
Tue Aug 12 21:26:27 UTC 2008

David Schlenk wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Nick Bright <boberz at thewatch.org
> <mailto:boberz at thewatch.org>> wrote:
>
>     Brian C. Huffman wrote:
>      > Allen Edwards <allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
>     <mailto:allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com>> wrote:
>      >> Nick Bright wrote:
>      > <snip>
>      >>> Why wouldn't you want to use XvMC? I'm not trying to disparage
>     you - I'm
>      >>> curious. I haven't read anything negative about XvMC, but I've
>     seen some
>      >>> posts and pages mentioning not wanting to use it by a number of
>     people.
>      >>>
>      >>> If there's a good reason to not use XvMC, I'd really like to
>     know what
>      >>> it is so I can make an informed decision on using it in my setup.
>      >>>
>      > <snip>
>      >> I tried XvMC on my AMD based 5400 setup and it really is not a
>     very good
>      >> experience.  I can't remember exactly but when the OSD comes on
>     things
>      >> break up or something.
>      >>
>      >> Allen
>      >
>      > I don't think the breaking up is due to the XvMC.  I believe
>     that's a CPU issue but I could be wrong.
>      >
>      > As far as why I don't want XvMC - as far as I know you can't get
>     color OSD when using XvMC.  Once again, I don't mind being corrected
>     if that's not true.
>
>     My OSD is color, and I'm using XvMC.
>
>      - Nick
>

> If I'm remembering correctly, you need a 5200 (or another card that
> supports chromakey) to do color OSD with XvMC. But unless your TV can
> take a DVI-I -> hdmi feed you're stuck in S-VIDEO land with the 5200
> card. I've got a projector that takes that, so it works for that system
> but my older 1080i TV only has component so I'm stuck with a 6200 which
> has a b&w OSD that makes playback stutter when I pause or what have you.
> I've learned to live with it. It only takes a couple seconds to come
> back and if you really need to just rewind 15 seconds. The alternative
> (watching TV with commercials while its airing) is way worse.

I'm using a 7300GT with XvMC enabled (as far as I know - I'm going to
have to check after work though!), using VGA output (but I've also use
it with DVI->HDMI) and my OSD is definitely in color.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500033 <- cheap
and the stock cooler is passive!

  - NIck