[mythtv-users] Video Card Recommendation

David Schlenk mythtv at schdav.org
Tue Aug 12 15:11:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Nick Bright <boberz at thewatch.org> wrote:

> Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> > Allen Edwards <allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:
> >> Nick Bright wrote:
> > <snip>
> I'm
> some

> > <snip>
> >> I tried XvMC on my AMD based 5400 setup and it really is not a very good
> >> experience.  I can't remember exactly but when the OSD comes on things
> >> break up or something.
> >>
> >> Allen
> >
> > I don't think the breaking up is due to the XvMC.  I believe that's a CPU
> issue but I could be wrong.
> >
> > As far as why I don't want XvMC - as far as I know you can't get color
> OSD when using XvMC.  Once again, I don't mind being corrected if that's not
> true.
>
> My OSD is color, and I'm using XvMC.
>
>  - Nick

If I'm remembering correctly, you need a 5200 (or another card that supports
chromakey) to do color OSD with XvMC. But unless your TV can take a DVI-I ->
hdmi feed you're stuck in S-VIDEO land with the 5200 card. I've got a
projector that takes that, so it works for that system but my older 1080i TV
only has component so I'm stuck with a 6200 which has a b&w OSD that makes
playback stutter when I pause or what have you. I've learned to live with
it. It only takes a couple seconds to come back and if you really need to
just rewind 15 seconds. The alternative (watching TV with commercials while
its airing) is way worse.