[mythtv-users] Home Automation + MythTV/Linux

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Aug 8 23:30:07 UTC 2008

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 16:56:49 -0500, Mitch Gore wrote
> Is X10 really that bad?  It seems like the only thing that is really
> supported in linux.

My experience with it has been mixed.  The on/off "appliance modules" are
pretty good, but I've had nothing but grief from the lamp modules. In
particular, the dimming feature of them just doesn't work, for two reasons:

- Dimming levels are not addressable.  You can go directly to off or to full
brightness, but to get in between you have to start at full brightness and
step down.

- It's unreliable.  I was using one with a 300 watt halogen lamp, and about
half the time dimming it slightly would cause the module to "run away" and
ramp the brightness steadily down until the lamp was off.