[mythtv-users] Screen corruption with fglrx X driver

David Gee david at allpowerfuldave.com
Sun Aug 3 15:33:10 UTC 2008

I've done a little more investigating and tried tweaking some settings, and
here are the various problems I've identified; I would appreciate any input
anyone can give me.

1. Mythfrontend menus: if I run mythfrontend using the --geometry parameter,
the menus always display correctly. If I omit the --geometry parameter so
that mythfrontend runs full-screen, then the output on the screen gets
corrupted (although a screenshot shows the menu drawn correctly). I have
found that if I change the paint method from Qt to OpenGL, the actual menus
themselves then display correctly, although the initial loading screen with
the progress bar still appears corrupted.

2. Settings screens: If I have the OpenGL paint method enabled (to fix the
screen corruption as described above), none of the settings screens work -
the screen doesn't change and doesn't respond to key presses, although
pressing Escape enough times usually regains control of the menus. However,
this is only happens in full-screen mode: running mythfrontend with a
--geometry parameter gets around this problem. If I am using the Qt paint
method, this menu works all the time (however it's useless in full-screen
mode because of the aforementioned screen corruption in full-screen mode
without OpenGL).

3. Watching TV: generally works; however, mythfrontend frequently segfaults
while watching TV. Changing channels is also problematic: most of the time,
this causes the TV output for the newly changed channel to be garbled.
However, pressing escape to get back to the main menu and then going back to
watching TV results in that channel being displayed perfectly. See
http://www.allpowerfuldave.com/mythtv1.png,
http://www.allpowerfuldave.com/mythtv2.png and
http://www.allpowerfuldave.com/mythtv3.png for examples of the garbled
output after changing channels. The output appears to differ depending on
whether the broadcast is SD or HD.

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Regards

David

My setup:

Mythtv 0.21
Fedora 9, fully patched
Stock Fedora 9 Kernel, 2.6.25.11-97
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO graphics card
fglrx graphics drivers 8.512-1.8.07 (from livna repository)
1080i/p TV connected via HDMI (DVI output using DVI-HDMI adapter) running at
1920x1080 screen res

Xorg conf:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Videocard0"
    Driver      "fglrx"
    Option        "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    Option        "VideoOverlay" "on"
    Option        "TexturedVideo" "on"
    Option        "TexturedVideoSync" "on"
    Option        "Capabilities" "0x00000800"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection