[mythtv-users] problem after Ubuntu 7.10 -> 8.04 upgrade

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 18:54:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > upgrading

> > >    You can also start completely from scratch by creating an entirely
> > > new profile and playing around with that. I found this to be useful.
> > > There were also some other non-profile settings that seemed to impact
> > > smoothness of playback (like using video for time base). You might
> > > need to do a little tinkering.
> > >

> > I am not an expert but I think I read that you have to upgrade your
> > backend as well.  It sounds from your post that you just  upgraded  your
> > frontend.
> >
> > Allen
> >

> Thanks for all the input.  I do not have the time to describe every detail
> of my setup, so I'm sorry if my first attempt has misled people on the
> list.  I'll take another stab at it here:
>

>  I have a myth system consisting of a main backend and several frontends.
> My setup worked well, and I should have known better than to mess with it,
> but I have a general compulsion to update and upgrade software to the
> "latest and greatest" whenever possible (I'm probably not alone in that
> compulsion).  On all of my machines, regardless of the distro installed, I
> run binaries from the package manager, from the appropriate repositories for
> each disro.  On my Ubuntu 7.10 systems, I enabled the "Gutsy-Backports"
> repository, which incluldes mythtv version .21.
>
> So anyway, I had a .21 backend and 3 .21 frontends all working quite
> harmoniously.  The backend, and one frontend were running Ubuntu 7.10, one
> is running Ubuntu 8.04, and one is running Debian etch.  Since my one
> machine was running well on 8.04, and since the official release had come, I
> figured it was safe to update my 7.10 backend and 7.10 frontend.  Without
> changing a single myth-specific setting, I went into the update manager, and
> clicked on "upgrade distribution to 8.04" or whatever it says.  Half an hour
> later, I had my frontend upgraded to 8.04, and an hour after that, I had my
> backend upgraded (I did the upgrade on the frontend first to make sure the
> upgrade process was still stable...I had previously upgraded my other
> frontend from 7.10 to 8.04 without incident when the beta 5 release came
> out)  When all was finished, my backend seemed to work fine, and I had no
> trouble accessing it as I always had from two of my three frontends.
>
> My "main" frontend" the one that I had just upgraded from 7.10, did not
> work so well.  This machine would connect to the backend, and appear to be
> ready to work, and could display video (using the Internal player) but could
> not display recordings or live tv.  I strongly believe that my problem has
> nothing to do with the specific playback settings.  It is not an issue of
> changing my deinterlacer, or anything of that nature.  It seems to be a
> problem related to the connection via the network, or loading streams, or
> something else.  Watching the lights on the switch that connects my main
> [...]
Now that I think about it some more, I wish I had checked to see what the
upgrade had done to my xvmc settings. I had xvmc setup and working under
7.10 (on my FX5200 card), but I'm not sure if that changed after the
upgrade.  The reason I mention this, is my videos were mpeg-4 files, but
both the recordings (made on my PVR-500's and my PVR 250) are mpeg-2 files.
Perhaps I'll try the upgrade again and check this next time around.