[mythtv-users] Does Fast Forward Work for anyone?

Misty P mistyp at thekorn.net
Mon Apr 21 18:18:13 UTC 2008

lemongecko at gmail.com wrote:
> On 4/21/08, allene222 <nabble at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:
>> When FF is set to 3x is goes a little faster maybe, maybe not.  On
>> 5x is jerks ahead 1 second every second - not too useful.
>
> This is *exactly* the behavior I saw. And this was with recorded
> content coming from my PVR-500, NOT JUST MPEG-4 .avi files. Works fine
> on the combined FE/BE, so I don't think it's a seek-table issue. I'll
> yank the FE out of the bedroom and try it hardwired tonight. Any
> metrics I should try and gather at the same time? Anything in
> particular I should look for in the log files that might be of use?

If you're trying to stream ATSC HD over 802.11n, stop right there.  Don't
pass go, don't collect $200, go straight to jail.

802.11n's real-world throughput is 22 mbps.  Yes, the specification says 45
mbps, but there are a bunch of technical details as to why real world you're
going to top out around 22mbps.  And that *assumes* that your AP and laptop
are both in the middle of a cornfield.  Once you add in neighbors with their
own APs, wireless phones, microwave ovens, and all the other things that can
gunk up the 2.4GHz spectrum, your throughput goes wayyyyyy down.

...then add in that you're trying to push the stream 3x, 5x, etc. faster
than normal via fast forwarding, and it doesn't surprise me that it wouldn't
work well over wireless.  (or at least, not 802.11n.)

Besides, do you *really* want to broadcast your porn collection to your
neighbors?  (Or worse, do you *want* them to know that you watch Oprah?
 :) )