[mythtv-users] Cant distinguish between foreground and background sound

MythTV MythTV at assuredsolutions.com
Sun Apr 20 17:35:17 UTC 2008

In the past few days, the foreground and background sound on my
MythTV system has gotten really bad.  Specifically, Eli Stone and
Desperate Housewives, have a lot of background or ambient sounds.
Typically it is music but sometimes it is birds chirping, cars
passing, whatever they put in the background make the scene seem more
real.  Normally, the character's voices are louder than the
background sound thus allowing us to hear the show dialog.

Both of the shows with the sound problem come from ABC.  It was so
bad that I went to ABC.com and watched the show off the web; I didn't
have a sound problem then, but I hate always having to click that
"Click here to continue" to move past their commercials.

I think the last known good episode of Eli Stone was 3/27/08, "I want
your sex."  But of course, I waited about two weeks between watching
this episode and the next episode that aired on 4/4/8, when the sound
problem occurred.

I have turned up treble and bass down all the way on the amplifier
connected via optical to my MythTV.  It doesn't make much
difference.  Of course restarted my system.  Messed with the
alsamixer settings.  Nothing makes the sound better.

Is this a problem with the way the show was made?  Is anyone else
having this problem?

Or, is there some kind of sound channel modifications that can be
made to MythTV to change the output levels?

Rob
My configuration is:
MythTV version: 0.20.20070821-1.
Installed in December 2006 on Fedora Core 6 following Jerod's guide.
Kernel version: 2.6.22-14-72.fc6.i686
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.2GHz Socket 775 800 FSB w/Hyper Threading
Technology
Memory: 1Gig DDR 333 Memory 180 Pin
Motherboard: ASRock 775i65G Mother Board
Optical Drive: LG 18X DVD RW + Dual Layer
Hard Drive: 2 Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA and
a Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache IDE, all configured in a LVD 725 Gig
volume
Video onboard: Integrated SiS Ultra256 2D/3D Graphics
Video card: Micro-star International (MSI) AGP GeForce FX5200-
TD128LF, 8X, 128M, DDR1, D-Sub, DVI-D, TV-out
Audio onboard: AUDIO ADI AD1888 6-channel audio CODEC
Audio card: Riviera C-Media CMI 8738 (Connected to my entertainment
center via the optical cable)
Network Card: Onboard 10/100 Network Card
Tuner card: 2 pcHDTV HD-5500s