[mythtv-users] Cant distinguish between foreground and background sound

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 17:54:50 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 1:35 PM, MythTV <MythTV at assuredsolutions.com> wrote:
> In the past few days, the foreground and background sound on my
>  MythTV system has gotten really bad.  Specifically, Eli Stone and
>  Desperate Housewives, have a lot of background or ambient sounds.
>  Typically it is music but sometimes it is birds chirping, cars
>  passing, whatever they put in the background make the scene seem more
>  real.  Normally, the character's voices are louder than the
>  background sound thus allowing us to hear the show dialog.
>
>  Both of the shows with the sound problem come from ABC. <snip>

I have been reading lately that my local ABC affiliate (Atlanta, GA)
has has problems with their sound.  Apparently, they haven't broadcast
in true 5.1 for quite some time.  According to AVS Forum, though,
they've recently returned to 5.1, but the audio is a little funky. To
quote (from someone else's post):
"Actually now that i listen to it, the center channel has the same
echo effect that was the reason it was taken down in the first place.
Doesnt affect commercials only live events."
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13682442#post13682442

I wonder if this is a similar issue?