[mythtv-users] LCD HDTV recommendations (that are Myth friendly)...

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 15:23:52 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> wrote:

>  On 11 Apr 2008, at 13:29, Mark James wrote:
>  > ...
>
> > I second Stoller's comment -- do NOT test with a Mac Book Pro! I have
>  > one of these two and cannot get decent output to the Olevia -- for
>  > some reason it just can't seem to do the TV's native resolution.
>  >
>  > When viewing the Mac's desktop there are all sorts of color shadows on
>  > type and other artifacts that don't appear with the Myth setup.
>
>  The colour shadows on type may be a separate issue.
>
>  Macs use font-sharpening in a way that is famously different from the
>  way it's done on Windows (see <http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/
>  2007/06/12.html>), and I think this _may_ just be a side-effect of that.
>
>  Certainly, when looking at my Mac's desktop and displaying windows on
>  my 42" 1080p, I could see little "odd pixels" of colour, say a hint
>  of red underneath the top arch of an "o", and the verticals of
>  different characters seemed to be different widths. I was quite
>  bothered by this when I first got my TV - in fact, I couldn't believe
>  it, at first, and it was only after several viewings that I decided
>  to post (here?) about it. Before doing so, however, I happened to
>  look _very closely_ at the laptop's own screen, and found the same
>  artefacts there ("artefacts" is a very good word for them, BTW).
>
>  The difference is that 1080p is a fairly low resolution compared to
>  that of a computer's monitor, and on a 42" the pixels are perhaps 4
>  times (perhaps more) the size they are on even a cheap relatively-low-
>  res 19" LCD monitor. No wonder this was barely visible on a 13" inch
>  screen!
>
>  If you compare the first diagram ("Rendering methods compared") at
>  <http://old.macedition.com/cb/cb_20020730.php> with the first two
>  diagrams at <http://alienryderflex.com/sub_pixel/> then it suddenly
>  starts to make sense. I reckon the 3rd illustration doesn't show
>  exactly what I could make out on my screen - on my display it was a
>  bit more subtle than that - but it gives the gist of it.

that's interesting considering Apple's high end display is currently 30":

"The 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display delivers an amazing 2560 x 1600
pixel resolution. Designed specifically for the creative professional,
this display provides more space for easier access to all the tools
and palettes needed to edit, format and composite your work. Combine
this display with a Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, or PowerMac G5 and there's
no limit to what you can achieve. "

i would assume that they would continue to grow their displays.  but
eventually i guess you could get too big...  could you? :)

--
Andrew Close