[mythtv-users] Slow myth TV user interface on a fast machine

James Fidell james at fidell.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 23:19:25 UTC 2007

Todd wrote:
> James Fidell <james at fidell.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Todd wrote:
>>
>>> The problem I'm having is with performance of this brand new machine
>>> (both before and after the rebuild).  Despite this being the newest
>>> and most powerful box in the house, the mythtv menus just seem to
>>> DRAAAAAAAAG.  Responsiveness is quite frustrating I'm afraid.  I'm
>>> navigating via keyboard as I haven't sussed out the remote control
>>> bits just yet.
>>>
>>> Hardware: AMD A64 3500+  socket AM2  Athlon 64 512kb cache
>>>           Asus M2N-E motherboard, 1G RAM, 320G SATA HD, xfs for my
>>>           recordings partition
>>> Video card: cheapie PCI (gads) nVidia GeForce FX5200 based Conquerer
>>>         FX5100Plus video card feeding a 19" CRT monitor.
>> Second time I've asked this question today :)
>>
>> Are you using the stock nv video drivers, or the Nvidia closed-source
>> ones?  I see a massive improvement in responsiveness with the Nvidia
>> ones presumably because rendering is much faster.
>
> Hi James,   thanks for your response.
>
> The honest answer is:  I dunno.    So I suppose that implies the stock
> ones installed with Ubuntu?
>
> I've never had to install a video driver in Linux before (even back in
> RedHat 4.0).  Any pointer to where I can learn more about the good
> drivers sounds like it would help my situation a great deal.

No idea what Ubuntu installs by default, I'm afraid.  The latest nvidia
drivers are available from their website though and installation is
really pretty straightforward.  You may need to tweak a few options in
xorg.conf to get it to perform the way you want but unless you're trying
to get XvMC working, it's fairly painless.

James