[mythtv-users] Slow myth TV user interface on a fast machine

Todd mythtv at vbref.org
Thu Sep 27 18:55:56 UTC 2007

James Fidell <james at fidell.co.uk> writes:

> Todd wrote:
>
> > The problem I'm having is with performance of this brand new machine
> > (both before and after the rebuild).  Despite this being the newest
> > and most powerful box in the house, the mythtv menus just seem to
> > DRAAAAAAAAG.  Responsiveness is quite frustrating I'm afraid.  I'm
> > navigating via keyboard as I haven't sussed out the remote control
> > bits just yet.
> >
> > Hardware: AMD A64 3500+  socket AM2  Athlon 64 512kb cache
> >           Asus M2N-E motherboard, 1G RAM, 320G SATA HD, xfs for my
> >           recordings partition
> > Video card: cheapie PCI (gads) nVidia GeForce FX5200 based Conquerer
> >         FX5100Plus video card feeding a 19" CRT monitor.
>
> Second time I've asked this question today :)
>
> Are you using the stock nv video drivers, or the Nvidia closed-source
> ones?  I see a massive improvement in responsiveness with the Nvidia
> ones presumably because rendering is much faster.

Hi James,   thanks for your response.

The honest answer is:  I dunno.    So I suppose that implies the stock
ones installed with Ubuntu?

I've never had to install a video driver in Linux before (even back in
RedHat 4.0).  Any pointer to where I can learn more about the good
drivers sounds like it would help my situation a great deal.

Thanks again!