[mythtv-users] DVB-T Channel Numbers (UK)

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Sep 27 20:22:51 UTC 2007

Andy Thomas wrote:

> You have to rescan again after the 3rd Oct
> See http://www.freeview.co.uk/help/channels-programming/q194
> And possibly a few weeks (months later) when Virgin 1 comes online....
> Seems like we have to do it every few weeks as channels shuffle around.

Ouch. It's such a pain rescanning in the UK. (Or maybe I'm doing something
wrong. Stands a fair chance.) I've never had much success with importing
channels.conf. And if you use the current method (I have a recentish trunk
build) it says "you must use --manual first time you run mythfilldatabase".

Riiight. So you answer all the questions, giving the identical answers to the
stuff you scanned in first - and it still builds a duplicate set of channels,
which is what it does if you don't use the manual switch.

So you then have to go through transferring the xmltvids and other information
from the manual input to the channels you scanned in. Doesn't work the other way
round because you don't have multiplex info on those entries in the database.
Waste of a day's effort.

I remember reading a while back that someone was going to produce a file with
all the cross-references on it - with possibly some perl to take the update pain
away - it may have been Nick Morrott. I didn't follow that up since I had other
problems about then, but it may still be in the offing.

Mike Perkins