[mythtv-users] MacOSX MySQL Errors

Eric Robinson ryunokokoro at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 00:09:56 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2007, at 4:06 PM, Eric Robinson wrote:
>> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>>> Try to log in using the MySQL client from a remote machine on your
>>> network and see what the error message is.
>> What kind of commands would I use for that?  I must confess that I'm a
>> mysql noob.
> mysql -h -u mythtv -p
> Replace "" with the correct IP for your backend host, and
> "myth" with whatever username you're using for MythTV.  You'll be
> prompted for the password.
> The machine you try this from will need the MySQL client installed.
> In most distributions this is in a package called "mysql-client" or
> something similar.

Okay, I ran the command above.  This is what I get for an error:

The-Great-Owl:/usr/local/mysql/bin Eric$ ./mysql -h -u
mythtv -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user
'mythtv'@'The-Great-Owl.local' (using password: YES)

The-Great-Owl is my system's name.  I'm running this on Mac OSX 10.4.10.

Thoughts?  Is it the last part?  I changed the permissions on the
backend mysql server to use IP values, not the system names.  Do I need
to add that too?  Or is there a way to force MythTV to connect with just
IP info?  Is that even the issue?