[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Sep 26 21:42:09 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 02:19:21PM +0100, Mike Perkins wrote:
> You may be right. I might have confused your reply with the previous poster.
> However, I still don't see why /etc *by itself* is not good enough. Why
> introduce another level of complexity to something that works?

1) even in /etc, the files all have different syntax, not just
different semantics.

2) not all the files are in /etc

As noted, the goal was to *simulate* a standard syntax and semantics,
by teaching an API library about all the historical cruft beneath it.

If nothing else, this also makes it possible to do at least revision
tracking, if not full revision control, on the changes made through the
API.

Cheers,
-- jra