[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 26 16:30:54 UTC 2007

Mike Perkins wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>> I think that was "LinuxConf", ca: 1999 or so?
>>
>> Also, please do not refer to stuff of that vintage as "very old",
>> because that would make me...
>>
> Ahh, Linuxconf. Yes, sounds about right. By "very old" I meant many releases
> ago, which, with some distributions releasing maybe four times a year can span a
> relatively short space of time.
>
> On the other hand, with *Myth* I might grow very old before I see another
> "release"! (Just kidding devs, honest ;)

Personally I like the "when it's ready" approach to Myth releases. I get
very tired of projects that issue "releases" that one needs a microscope
to find differences in from the last version. Or certain distros that
release due to an artificial release schedule, not a genuinely improved
product. There are even projects that seem to believe new releases are
an opportunity to solicit more funds (something Myth has NEVER done).

Users who want to be on the "bleeding edge" can be, and users who do not
want to upgrade monthly do not have to.

You can believe that each Myth release actually has something worth the
effort of upgrading in it.

beww