[mythtv-users] MSNTV2 box? (was software encoding to MPEG2)

Tom Metro tmetro+mythtv-users at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 00:26:49 UTC 2007

Ramon Redondo wrote:
> With that much power, can the MSNTV2 boxes decode the DIVX based NUV files?
> If I remember correctly, the MVPs are pretty much limited to MPEG2?

The native hardware decoding on the MediaMVP is limited to MEPG1/MEPG2,
but you can use VLC to do on-the-fly transcoding on the back-end.
Hopefully, someday that functionality will be built-in to the MythTV
back-end. (Given that $50 DVD players include hardware MPEG4 decoders,
I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen an under $100 media player capable
of MPEG4.)

Still, the ability to playback MPEG4 natively is perhaps the one thing I
miss by using the MVP hardware. I actually prefer the mvpmc UI to
myth-frontend as far as typical operations required to play back shows.

The MSNTV2 sounds interesting and should be added to the MythTV wiki
section on front-end hardware.

  -Tom