[mythtv-users] OTA HD is sometimes good, sometimes bad...

Todd Volz todd at stir.org
Tue Sep 25 15:42:20 UTC 2007

matthew.garman at gmail.com wrote:
> A good example is last night: I recorded The Simpsons at 7:00 PM
> (Central time); the recording had a few very minor blips, but was
> otherwise fine.  I tried to record The Family Guy at 8:00 PM, and it
> was unwatchable, for the whole duration (1 hour) of the show.  Badly
> pixellated, jerky audio, random pauses and jumps.
>
> I can't imagine what could have happened in the half hour between
> these two shows that would cause one to be nearly perfect and the
> other unwatchable.  I didn't move the antenna at all, didn't use the
> MythTV box for anything else during that time.

What signal strength do you get from this fox station?  Does it stay in
the high 80s or does it move around?

Are you sure that your Myth box isn't doing anything other than
recording?  When do you schedule commercial flagging or do you have any
trans coding jobs that might be fighting for IO or processing power on
the backend doing the recording?

You also might check your cable connections and try an amplifier if your
signal strength is below 70.

Hope some of this might help.

Todd