[mythtv-users] Air2PC tuning QAM Channels on Charter Communications Cable

David George david at thegeorges.us
Mon Sep 24 19:34:09 UTC 2007

On 09/24/2007 02:55 PM, Melvin J. Cureton wrote:
> Can someone give me a few examples of USB ATSC/QAM tuners that you may
> have current/past good experience with. Or is it recommended to stick
> with PCI/PCIe based tuners? If so Are there any dual ATSC/QAM tuners
> avail that work with Linux/Myth?

Please don't take anything I write about QAM as authoritative.  I
currently only use OTA (and satellite for standard def), but I
experimented with QAM last month with Time Warner.  It appears that the
only QAM channels Time Warner Summerville, SC sends unencrypted is ABC,
FOX and some shopping channels.  CBS, NBC, PBS and CW were not available
(or at least I couldn't find them).

I have many different ATSC cards HD-2000, HD-3000, Air2PC 2ndgen, Fusion
HDTV5 PCI and USB, and HD Homerun (dual tuner
http://9thtee.com/hdhomerun.htm ).  I only tested the Fusion HDTV5's and
the HDHR with QAM as that was all I had in my system at the time.  My
QAM256 signal strength was about 90% IIRC.  The HDHR was the only one I
could get to work in the limited amount of time I had to test QAM.
Running firmware from Aug (not latest now), don't recall exact version.
The Fusion HDTV5 both PCI and USB wouldn't pick up anything in the
scan.  The HDHR found a lot of stuff, almost all of it was encrypted.
Anyway, like I said, I am back to OTA only right now using the HDTV5 USB
and HDHR.

Don't take this to mean only the HDHR will work.  I have not tried the
latest pchdtv card (HD-5500)or the 3rd gen Air2PC card (HD-5000).

--
David