[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

Bearcat M. Sandor HomeTheater at feline-soul.com
Mon Sep 24 18:57:22 UTC 2007

On Monday 24 September 2007 in an email titled "Re: [mythtv-users] On the
verge of giving up" Brett Kosinski wrote:

>Personally, I'd love to do away with the myriad config files and formats
>littered all over my machine.  Heck, it could be something as simple as an
>API that layered over a standard filesystem, producing text-based
>configuration files of a known format, using a well-understood directory
>structure.  This makes things user-editable, scalable, consistent, and
>transparent.  It'll never happen, but it's a nice dream. :)
>
>Brett.

I'm a KDE user so i may not know what i'm taking about, but in my few forays
into Gnome it seems that gconf was kind of like what you describe. A regestry
done right.  Also, most of the rest of your non-user specific config files
are gonna be in /etc anyway.

Although, i must say i had endless problems with the templates in /etc/gconf.

Bearcat M. Sandor