[mythtv-users] OT Question About OTA Antennas

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 15:35:15 UTC 2007

> Agreed. Antenna pre-amps are useful in certain very specific situations,
> in a lot of situations they cause more harm than good.
>
> If the amp is that old so are the cables, connectors and any balun
> (transformer) on the antenna, as well as possibly phasing wires etc. on
> the antenna itself. Check all of these and tighten, clean, replace as
> necessary.
>
> beww

Brian,

Thanks for the response.  That's probably the second to last option (which
also happens to be the next step/option).  I'll check out monoprice for some
long quad shielded RG6 cable.  The very last option being, purchasing a new
antenna with better UHF capability.  However, being that the top of the mast
is well over 40 feet off the ground, and my general avoidance of height,
that solution might prove to be prohibitively expensive.  :-)  It might be
time to think about moving out of the country and into town where they at
least broadcast local stations in the clear.