[mythtv-users] OT Question About OTA Antennas

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 24 15:22:32 UTC 2007

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Sep 24, 2007, at 8:04 AM, James Oltman wrote:
>
>> Well, I'm alive.  I know, you're all relieved :-)  I got up near
>> the top of the antenna, and realized I don't like heights.  So I
>> thought of a different approach.  I sat on the upper roof and using
>> a very long bamboo stick, I pushed the antenna into position.
>> Someone helped me by moving the rotor control in the correct
>> direction.  So the antenna is pointed correctly, however, I just
>> get FOX in better now and the Church channels.  I think that the
>> amp I'm using isn't very good.  It's several years old and a Radio
>> Shack amp with no real measure of how much gain it's giving.  Any
>> thoughts on a new amp?  Thanks!
>
> Try it without an amp. It amplifies noise as well as signal you want.
> I've never had better reception with one.

Agreed. Antenna pre-amps are useful in certain very specific situations,
in a lot of situations they cause more harm than good.

If the amp is that old so are the cables, connectors and any balun
(transformer) on the antenna, as well as possibly phasing wires etc. on
the antenna itself. Check all of these and tighten, clean, replace as
necessary.

beww