[mythtv-users] A plea for help

Paul King mythtv at lowcostpchelp.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 10:04:39 UTC 2007

Dan Harper wrote:
> One thing I've had success with also to reproduce problems is to
> compile a kernel on the box.  This seems to give a good thrashing on
> memory and disk.  I've had memory problem identified when compiling a
> kernel that memtest86 didn't pick up.
>
> The give away for RAM is if you compile the kernel twice and crashes
> occur in different locations of the source tree (ie: some level of
> randomness).
>
> Dan
>

> On 24/09/2007, at 11:46 AM, Brett Kosinski wrote:
>

>> That's all I can think of for now.  Please, anyone who has any idea
>> how I can troubleshoot this or give me any ideas, let me know.  My
>> wife gets very upset when her soap-operas don't record,  and with
>> the new fall-season shows coming up (Heroes!),  I'd hate to miss
>> any of those either :-)   Thanks!
>>
>> You didn't mention the filesystem, disk layout (LVM, RAID, etc),
>> kernel version, etc, you were using.  I can say that, in the past,
>> I've had kernel oopses specifically because of XFS, which occurred
>> during times of high disk activity (bittorrent was a great way to
>> trigger the problem).
>>
>> In addition, it sounds like this is a combo FE/BE.  You might try
>> shutting down X and letting the backend run for a while.  This will
>> allow you to see any kernel oopses that are occuring, as they will
>> be dumped the console (just make sure to disable console
>> blanking).  Of course, this means your Myth system will be
>> unavailable for use during that time, but you could run a test like
>> this over a few nights, until a crash triggers (assuming one does).
>>
>> Brett.

Hi

I would also point to memory. I have found memtest86 less than reliable.
I had a frontend on Linuxmce which would crash when loading mythrtv and
when launching a KDE desktop at slightly different times on each. I ran
memtest and it came back saying everything was ok. I replaced the memory
anyway as I was still convinced this was the problem and everything runs
ok. I also work as a computer service engineer and from experience with
lots of machines randon rashes 99% of the time seem to come down to
memory problems.

With the price of memory these days its worth just grabbing a new stick
to try.

Regards