[mythtv-users] A plea for help

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 24 00:09:01 UTC 2007

Ben Davis wrote:
> Hi all.  I have been a happy MythTV user for roughly 3 years now, and
> have loved it.  I've recently upgraded my entire mythtv setup to an HD
> setup,  and have begun to notice that my mythtv box crashes from time to
> time during recordings.  And when say crash, I mean hard-crash:  no
> network, keyboard control, display output, nothing.   I am never able to
> see any type of error on the screen (probably from X blanking the
> screen).   Anyways, because I don't want to spend a ton of money
> replacing each bit of hardware until something works, I'll list out as
> many facts as I can here.  I'm hoping for someone here to be able to
> help me figure this one out.

<deletia>

Check the obvious. Test your RAM, look into power supply problems.

Often random crashes can be thermally-related, make sure you have
adequate cooling (proper heatsink mounting with thermal compound).

If it runs at all it is probable it is not defective hardware (though of
course it could be). Bad RAM often behaves the way you describe.

beww