[mythtv-users] HD playback stuttering

Neil M. nabber00 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 23 18:17:42 UTC 2007

> Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:17:19 -0400
> From: william_munson at bellsouth.net
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] HD playback stuttering
>
> Neil M. wrote:
> > Hi, I'm running the latest release of MythTV (0.20.2) compiled from
> > source on Debian Etch and having problems with HDTV playback using the
> > internal player.  Both the picture and audio will "freeze" every
> > second or so.  I can play the exact same file without the periodic
> > freezing with Xine.  So the hardware is good enough to playback the
> > file, I'm just having some sort of problem with MythTV.  Also note
> > that I'm not having any problems with analog playback or low end
> > digital (480i) files.  I appreciate any suggestions you folks have.
> >
> > Hardware specs:
> >
> > - eMachines Celeron D 2.8 GHz.
> > - 256 MB RAM
> > - Operating System: Debian Linux 4.0 (Etch) - Kernel 2.6.18
> > - 500 GB ATA Hard Disk
> > - DVD-ROM and CD-RW Drive
> > - nVidia Corporation GeForce FX 5200 PCI Video Card (with S-video output)
> > - Hauppauge PVR-250 (with hardware MPEG encoder and remote control)
> > - pcHDTV 5500
> >
> > Neil
> Looks like not enough ram. 512 is the minimum, 1gb is preferred. Also
> somewhat marginal cpu wise.  Might not be able to handle live tv with
> all the overhead of mysql and recording and decoding all at the same
> time. Did you also upgrade your OS at the same time? You may need to add
> some options to your xorg.conf file.

As I said before, I don't believe this to be a hardware issue because I can play the files just fine with Xine.  I added another 512 MB of RAM for a total of 768 now and do not see any improvement with playback.  Top is telling me that no swap space is even being used.  Also when I try to playback HDTV, the backend is not recording anything, so recording at the same time is not the problem (yet).  I have not done any OS upgrades recently, I just got the HDTV card about a month ago and have always had this issue.  I do not believe I have any problems with my xorg.conf since playback works normally with Xine.  Are there some compile flags for MythTV that I should/should not be using?