[mythtv-users] HD playback stuttering

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 22 21:17:19 UTC 2007

Neil M. wrote:
> Hi, I'm running the latest release of MythTV (0.20.2) compiled from
> source on Debian Etch and having problems with HDTV playback using the
> internal player.  Both the picture and audio will "freeze" every
> second or so.  I can play the exact same file without the periodic
> freezing with Xine.  So the hardware is good enough to playback the
> file, I'm just having some sort of problem with MythTV.  Also note
> that I'm not having any problems with analog playback or low end
> digital (480i) files.  I appreciate any suggestions you folks have.
>
> Hardware specs:
>
> - eMachines Celeron D 2.8 GHz.
> - 256 MB RAM
> - Operating System: Debian Linux 4.0 (Etch) - Kernel 2.6.18
> - 500 GB ATA Hard Disk
> - DVD-ROM and CD-RW Drive
> - nVidia Corporation GeForce FX 5200 PCI Video Card (with S-video output)
> - Hauppauge PVR-250 (with hardware MPEG encoder and remote control)
> - pcHDTV 5500
>
> Neil
Looks like not enough ram. 512 is the minimum, 1gb is preferred. Also
somewhat marginal cpu wise.  Might not be able to handle live tv with
all the overhead of mysql and recording and decoding all at the same
time. Did you also upgrade your OS at the same time? You may need to add
some options to your xorg.conf file.