[mythtv-users] Should I use LVM on this new raid?

Ryan Campbell campbellr at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 05:17:43 UTC 2007

On 22-Sep-07, at 8:18 PM, John Drescher wrote:

>> Unless I'm missing something, ZFS doesn't have a compatible
>> license for
>> the linux kernel, hence hasn't been ported.  There is FUSE,
>> apparently
>> a user mode implementation, but not sure I want to do down that road.
>>
> I briefly tested it yesterday at work on a raid that gets over 250MB/s
> (read test under hdparm) and my reads and writes with the zfs-fuse
> driver were around 25MB/s and 5MB/s with compression. I was very
> interested in all its features and everything I did worked but with
> that performance it is not usable for me. Possibly it does not work
> well with non zfs raid or some other reason.
>
> John

I am pretty sure that zfs-fuse is not ready for prime time. There
have been reports of corruption issues and the author has even stated
on his blog that "As for performance, well.. zfs-fuse is slow right
now, but it will certainly improve. I haven't even started to
seriously look at performance."
ZFS is a great filesystem but I would hold off recommending anyone
use zfs-fuse on a production machine until it becomes a little more
mature.

If mythtv (and ivtv, etc..) ran on solaris then I would definitely
try using ZFS.

Ryan