[mythtv-users] archiving - but I don't want to slow down normal mythtv functions

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 02:13:43 UTC 2007

On 9/22/07, Tim Litwiller <timlitw at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to archive a couple of series, that I have on my mythtv box, but I
> don't want it to interfere with normal mythtv functions.
>
> Is there a way to run nuvexport so that if a recording starts that it will
> scale way back , or pause until it is done recording,
> and also really give it all it's got in the early morning hours when
> nothing is recording?
> I have another machine I can setup, can I get it to do all the archiving
> with nuvexport - It is a P4 HT so it should even be faster than my main
> machine.

Tim,

You can change the settings in mythtv-setup | General on the eighth (8th)
page labelled "Job Queue (Global)" for mythcommflag and mythtranscode and
preface them with ionice and nice to make them give way to other program's
I/O and processing needs.  On my system I have them set as:
Commercial Flagger command:          ionice -n 7 nice -n 20 mythcommflag
Transcoder command:                       ionice -n 7 nice -n 20
mythtranscode

Once you have saved your changes, new jobs will use the modified commands.

Craig.