[mythtv-users] kind of job groups?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 17:38:16 UTC 2007

On 9/21/07, Michael Kurtz <myth at friendz.de> wrote:

> Hi...
>

> What I want to achieve is to distinguish between different kinds of jobs
> in a
> way that I can assign a maximum number of simultaneous tasks per job-type.
> My problem is: When I allow 3 jobs to run at a time there often run just 3
> transcoding processes and commercial flagging had not started when I
> wanted
> to watch the recording. How can I seperately limit the number of allowed
> jobs
> for transcoding and flagging to allow for example 3 flagging tasks at a
> time
> + 1 transcoding task? Is there a way to achieve this? I use mythtv from
> the
> current fixes branch.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Michael,

You could use nice and/or ionice to push the transcoding tasks to the bottom
of the priority ladder and the commflag processes to be in-between that and
normal processes so watching programs doesn't get bogged down.  If you do
this, you could increase the number of transcode/commflag tasks allowed (not
*too* much) and commflag jobs will finish before transcoding jobs without
excluding them from getting anything done.  Search the archives, howto, and
manpages for more.  I'd give you more myself, but I'm at work on lunchbreak,
not at home.

Craig.