[mythtv-users] Myth TY HD, (cable and Satellite)

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 18:05:18 UTC 2007

On 9/19/07, Ryan Steffes <rbsteffes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/19/07, Jim - MythTV <mythtv at hribnak.com> wrote:
> >

> > I was thinking the other day after reading somethng about the cable
> companies must still do the old analog channels until 2008.   Once
> everything goes completely HD what will our options be with our Myth boxes?
> I guess it really depends on the gear todeliver HD content, if there is any
> outputs (I doubt they will be hd outputs but you never know)
> >

> > Is anyone in canada using the Bell HD and dumping it to the Myth server?
> I have Bell but not HD and its not currently hooked into my Mythbox..  thats
> my next project once I upgrade my myth box so I can use a video card  TV out
> rather than my 350.
> >

> > Jim
>

> It's extremely important to remember that the cable companies are only
> regulated by the FCC in a very few instances.  All of those involve what
> they HAVE to provide (local networks, etc), not what they can NOT provide.
> The cable companies can and will provide analog only channels for as long as
> it's financially prudent for them, and as long as the huge majority of
> televisions in this country do not have digital tuners, and as long as
> customers react negatively to paying for settop boxes, there will be analog
> services provided.

Incidentally, I realized after replying you are in Canada, but as far
I as know, the same caveats would apply, since even Canadia
broadcasters are going to be broadcasting analog long after the US
digital transition, and I would assume the cable companies are
similarly unrestricted in what they show over their own wires.